Monday 30 December 2013

Matrilineal Monday: Myrtle Gow (1887 - 1946)


Myrtle in 1921/1922, Sydney.

Myrtle Gow was the eldest child of Robert William Gow (Great Uncle) & Mary Agnes Ryan. She was born May 19, 1887, in Sydney, New South Wales. She never married, and died when she was 59 on September 1, 1946, in Sydney. She is buried with her father in Macquarie Cemetery.

While researching my family history, I’ve become quite fond of Myrtle. I’ve heard from other family members that she might have had a learning disability. Her death certificate states that she was an ‘Invalid Pensioner.’ I am still hoping and trying to find out more about that.

Myrtle with her father Robert, 1902/1903, Sydney
The grave of Myrtle Gow, Macquarie
Cemetery, Sydney.



I think of Myrtle often. I’m not sure why I’m drawn to her, but I guess it’s a good thing! I even named my Cactus after her. Myrtle’s name was the first I thought of when I was deciding what to name her. Yes, I named my plant & refer to it as a her. Myrtle was my Poppa’s cousin. Poppa was not that close with his cousins, but my Aunt remembers him talking about Myrtle quite a bit. I wish I could ask him questions about her as she intrigues me.

2 comments:

  1. Caitlin,

    I want to let you know that your blog is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/01/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-january-10.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find more info. Love the Cemetery! I wonder if I have any Welsh in myself?

    ReplyDelete