The questions are -
1. What was your first illness as a child?
2. What was the first funeral you attended?
3. What was your favorite book as a child?
4. What was your favorite class in elementary school?
5. What was your favorite toy as a child?
6. Did you learn how to swim, and where did you learn?
1. I don't exactly remember what my first illness was. I do remember being in and out of hospital as a child with terrible asthma. I also remember being in hospital when I was 7 or 8 with a really bad stomach bug. I just asked my Mum when I had chicken pox. I thought it was when I was 3, but Mum thinks I had it when I was 5 or 6.
2. The first funeral I attended was for my paternal Grandfather, my Poppa. He died on August 31, 2003. He was 93 years old. He'd been in hospital and then in a nursing home for quite a few weeks. I was 12 years old and in Grade 8 at school. We traveled to Sydney a couple days later for the funeral. I think I missed about a week of school. I was really close to my Dad's parents and this was the first death in the family that I experienced so it was very hard for me.
3. I don't remember what my favorite book as a child was. I do remember reading a lot of the Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen books as a teenager though. Actually, now that I think about it, one of the books that Dad loved reading to me when I was little was Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. There is a mouse on every page and Dad would put his thumb over the mouse to hide it from me while I tried to find it. Eventually I caught on to what he was doing and would try and move his thumb straight away. When I have children, I would like him to read it to them too.
4. My favorite class was Grade Four with Mr Woods in 1999. That year was a lot of fun. My Mum was also in the prime of her baking of American Brownies. I looove those brownies. She hasn't made them for a few years now, but she would always give me some to take to class, and Mr Woods loved them too.
5. Barbies. Definitely Barbies. I had drawers over flowing with Barbie related stuff. I had a lot of Barbie furniture and a Barbie car too! I still have the car. It's the cutest thing and I don't plan on giving it away any time soon.
6. You know what, I have no memory of where or when I learned to swim. We had a pool when I was a kid so it was just something I knew how to do. I have a feeling that in Grade One I could swim a little, but didn't really master the strokes or feel confident with swimming until Grade 3.