Tuesday 23 February 2016

The James Moran (Trove Tuesday)

Last week, I discovered my 4x Great Grandfather Angus Mackay's immigration record. He arrived in Port Jackson (Sydney), on the 11th of February, 1839. With him was his wife Christina, three children from his first marriage, and four children from his current marriage. The ship they traveled on was the James Moran. It departed Lochenvar, Scotland on October 22nd and came via the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa.

I decided to search Trove to see if I could find anything interesting about the ship. To narrow down the process, I selected 1839 as the year. This would hopefully rule out articles about individuals with the same name.

I stumbled upon the following article published in The Colonist on the 16th of February, 1839. In preparation for the Trove outage, I made sure to save the article and citation.

Source: THE JAMES MORAN. (1839, February 16). The Colonist (Sydney, NSW : 1835 - 1840), p. 3.
Retrieved February 22, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31722569
It is good to know that Angus and his family hopefully had a positive experience on board. 

2 comments:

  1. Trove comes up trumps again!! Where would we be without it? Apparently the govt doesn't care, based on funding cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must save Trove and not tell the government some people would be happy to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete